Monday, October 17, 2011

DIY-Dixie Cup Light Garland

Hello everyone! Hope you are well for this Monday night. I have been a busy bee lately and the proof is in the pudding - or rather the blog post! Could someone enlighten me on why we have that silly saying? Were there imitation puddings and Jell-O's comeback was this slogan? I know it's way off track but it raises a good question!

Yes - as I was saying I have been busy. One of the very first pictures I pinned on Pinterest was a Dixie Cup Garland Tutorial from Hey Gorgeous. The more I thought about this idea the more I wanted to give it a go. In the original How-To they wrapped their cups in scrap paper but I happened to be lucky enough to find a cool pattern on the bathroom Dixie Cups. If you don't like the design or you are wanting to have a certain "Theme" (AKA: Christmas, Halloween, Wedding, Birthday) then by all means cut scrap paper and wrap away!


In the original tutorial they marked the bottom of the cups with a x in pencil...I did not lol. Call me lazy but I wanted to make this as simple as possible...so I eyed where my x should go and cut away with a straight blade knife.


Once I had enough cups cut to cover the amount of lights I wanted covered I pushed the light through the x. Note: You can cut 100 cups to cover an 100 count string of lights, but I see no use in this due to the fact some of them will be hidden.


Please ignore the dirty fingernails, as you must get dirty to play!


And voila!


A 200 count of Dixie Cups was less than $3, so this is a very affordable DIY...and just look at how cute it turned out?!?!?!


Thoughts? Have a tutorial to share? We would love to hear from you and for you to join our group on Facebook!


PS: I started a paper.li today called "Crafting Daily" Be sure to check it out daily to see the latest blogs/tutorials and crafts from around the web!



Todays Creative Blog





Tip Junkie handmade projects






4 comments:

  1. This is so cute! You have some great stuff on your blog. I'm following now.

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I actually have those exact cups. A blogger friend and I are starting a "Project Pinterest" link-up on November 3rd. We'd love to have you join us!


    http://randomthoughtsfromamomsperspective.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-pinteresting.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project! :) I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/dixie-cup-light-garland/

    If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! It would be perfect for a girl baby shower, or even a birthday party! Thanks for sharing. Found you via thefrugalgirls chic and crafty party. :)

    ReplyDelete