Monday, February 20, 2012

DIY - Light Switch Cover Tutorial

Hello my wonderful readers! How is February treating you? I hope all is well and you are having a fantastic 2012 - thus far.

It's that time again, time for a new tutorial. I didn't realize how much people liked my felt arrow tutorial. It pleases me to no end. This project is easy as easy can be and for once I didn't get the inspiration from Pinterest! As it were, I have been making light switch covers for many years. My mother (who is much more crafty than I) taught me this trick when I was just a mini me.

After living in our home for 6 years I decided to start the tradition of covering light switches. My biggest issue with the project is I have the flippy switches - ok, flippy is not the technical term, I think they are called "Rocker Light Switch" but flippy sounds cuter! If you have the other, normal light switch you can skip part of my tutorial entirely. Thankful I like a challenge and had to find a way to make it all work!

Materials:
  • Mod Podge
  • Switch cover
  • Sponge/brush (I used a sponge)
  • Scrap book paper or Fabric or book page
  • Scissors
  • Exacto knife or small knife of some type
  • Hot glue gun (optional)

#2
 Cut paper (or fabric) slightly larger than your switch cover and Mod Podge the front face.

#3

Cut the four corners of your paper so it will be less likely to bubble.

#4

With your Exact-O knife cut the opening for your switch. I suggest cutting a smaller area than your switch. This will allow you to fold your paper inside with no seams showing.

#5

Either Mod Podge or hot glue your paper down on the back of the cover. I chose hot glue because it sticks much easier (and faster) to the plastic.

#6
If you have a normal light switch you can skip this step. My cover is in two separate pieces. The top piece (which I have already covered) and this bottom part. I chose the lazy route and only covered the edge of the light switch (the only part you can see) and folded the paper behind it. As you can see I cut my paper a tad bit short on the left side, but once the Mod Podge dries no one is the wiser - besides you!

#7
Add one final coat of Mod Podge to your switch cover. Once it is completely dry reassemble your parts.

And Voila! A snazzy light switch cover for my dining room!
Yes I realize I have cracks and bubbles in my paper but that's the way I wanted it. If you are aiming for a smooth flat surface, make sure you take your time on the initial Mod Podging. The great thing about tutorials is, you learn from them.

So, what are your thoughts? Any cool ideas springing from this project?

If you enjoyed the tutorial please share it!

Want more ideas? Follow me on Pinterest where I share Craft goodies daily!
Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing and thanks for following me. I'm following you back!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog checkout mine on

    http://www.togetherfornature.blogspot.com

    feel free to leave a comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fine tutorial, Mika--great distressed look on your cover!

    :)

    ReplyDelete